Empowerment and Education Equal Opportunities

The People's Foundation for Sierra Leone is a non-profit organization that was established in 2009 with the primary aims of providing mentoring and counselling services to youth who are struggling with issues such as sexual abuse and HIV/AIDS, enabling them to rise above adversity and pursue their dreams through university education. We sponsored 4 students last year, and with the funds we have raised this year, we will be sending those 4 students back to their 2nd year of studies, as well as enabling 4 new students to start their dreams. Follow our work over the next 4 months as our director Krissi Bucholtz travels back to Sierra Leone to carry out the programs. For more information about our organization, please check our new website.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

International Women's Day - The Courage to Stand Strong!


Hey all,

In light of International Women's Day, thought we would offer up an incredibly inspiring and true story from our 2nd year scholarship applicant, Saio Jalloh, currently pursuing her Bachelors' of Education at Milton Margai College in Freetown, Sierra Leone. Here's a reminder that real changes and real lives can be improved when a more holistic approach is taken, and we invest in programs that BUILD people up through education and opportunities.

Hope you enjoy and get inspired!

SAIO JALLOH, 21 years old:
From the moment I first met Saio 3 years ago, she has remained one of the most intelligent and strong-willed women I have ever encountered. During out first scholarship interviews in 2010, Saio boldly expressed the following to our panel of interviewers:
“Not everyone wants to be a teacher, because the level of education here, and the way they treat teachers is not good…their salaries are not good. So everyone in my country wants to become an accountant, or a lawyer…But I want to be a teacher because I want to render a service to my community and help it improve.”

For a 19 year old girl coming from a very poor family, this was not only a daring and unusual dream, but it was one that Saio believes in with her whole heart. She is so passionate about building up her hometown that she insists on finding a teaching job in Kabala when she is finished school, rather than working in the capital city, Freetown, where she could make more money. Needless to say, Saio’s story inspired and challenged me, as she was and still is more than willing to sacrifice for her country so that future generations can have a better life and education.

Not only do Saio’s educational goals that remain astonishing, but her character and integrity offer up a challenge to all women throughout the world, even those of us in much more fortunate situation. As one of the first members in The People’s Foundation of Sierra Leone mentoring programs, Saio attended our workshops on HIV/AIDS, Sexual abuse, and learned how to overcome difficult situations with the help of her community and her mentor. Saio also became a mentor to a younger girl in her community, sharing her stories of university life and overcoming hardships.

In her first year of university, Saio’s integrity was put to the test, and the programs had an even bigger effect on her than we ever could have dreamed. In our mission statement, we say that “we seek to put an end to sexual abuse…by empowering youth to recognize themselves as valuable, unique individuals who can make a difference in the world.” I never would have expected Saio to emulate these words and make them a reality in her day-to-day life, but when she came back for her 2nd interview to get another scholarship, she proved to all of us at the Foundation that she had done just that. When I asked Saio a question we asked all of our returning applicants, which was simply whether or not our programs helped her or changed her viewpoint about anything through her first year of school, she looked me straight in the eye and confidently delivered what would end up being one of the most rewarding and emotional speeches I have ever heard.

“Did this program help me? Yes, yes, it helped. Earlier this year, a professor asked me to sleep with him in order to improve my grade. I was really good in this class, but I always ended up with C’s or lower on my exam papers and didn’t understand, until he told me that was the only way I would pass. I was confused, because I knew I had to do well in my classes to get another year of tuition…but I talked to my mentor before I made a decision. She advised me not to sleep with him, and to be brave even if it meant failing a class. The next time he asked me my decision, I said “NO”! He was surprised. I got a terrible grade in the class, but I never felt so good about a decision. I think my roommates learned something too, because they had never seen a girl say “no” to a professor before!”

Perhaps it was the calm, collected way in which Saio recounted this story which nearly moved me to tears, as if she didn’t even think her actions were a big deal, as if she didn’t even realize how much of an impact her decision has made on other girls in the community and will continue to make in the future. Whatever the case, I remember being dumbstruck with her answer, questioning how something this momentous could occur in such a short time of us running our programs! Of course, there is still much work to be done, but with incredible young women like Saio to lead our programs forward, I have full confidence that a change in the youth in Sierra Leone can take place for the better. Saio’s confidence and ability to stand firm in the face of adversity just show that once you give a community the reins for a project, and ask them what is important, and stand by to help with development in a sustainable way instead of imposing your own ideas, things can really change for the better. Saio is a constant inspiration and encouragement to me, and a reminder of all the brave and amazing women all over the world who aren’t afraid to take a stand for what’s right and carve out a path for their sisters to follow in.


Oh, and did I mention she still wants to be the Minister of Education in Sierra Leone after she graduates and gets some teaching experience? Imagine how much could change then…

1 comment:

  1. It's inspiring to read the stories of the people that the foundation has helped in Sierra Leonne, Krissi! I can only imagine the multiplicative effect that this will have as these college students graduate and carry these teachings and examples into their professional life.

    ReplyDelete